Pages

Thursday 6 September 2012

Orthopaedic appointment, 6th September

Today, I went back to the hospital to see my orthopaedic surgeon for the first time since I saw the plastic surgeon. He said he wasn't expecting the referral to have gone through so soon but that he was glad it did, and was pleased to see me. I told him that I was unsure if I'd understood the plastic surgeon's plan correctly (I really felt like I was just nodding in the right places). Since my orthopaedic surgeon is going away on Saturday, he said that he would receive the letter from his secretary via email and send me a message to explain everything to me. I really thought that was lovely, since he's supposed to be away and enjoying work-free time but he insisted on writing to me.

We talked through various things and he definitely put me at ease about going forward with the surgery since it's the last chance I have. We're both not entirely sure what's going to happen (due to my poor explaining!) but I'll find out and be sure soon. He advised that even a 10% success rate is worthwhile, and to maybe only reconsider if the success rates go below 5%. However, he did say that it would be hard to estimate as this approach is rather new and given the state of things at the moment, nobody can give an accurate guess at the chances of success.

I am worried about going ahead, but I trust my orthopaedic surgeon more than anybody else involved in the matter. The cost will be astronomical but I can only hope that this is the last time I will have to undergo surgery. My last overnight stay cost around £2,400 and this can only be more, since it involves two separate operations and the use of new stem-cell technology. However, I am excited also - and relieved that so many people are at last on my side. I cannot explain how glad I am to have changed my main care over to my orthopaedic surgeon - I've known him for three years, and more has been sorted in the last six months with him than in the time before this.

He gave me plenty of drugs and dressings for the time that he's away and I'll be seeing him when he gets back. I just wish that he could carry out these two operations - but I guess we can't have it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.