Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

Big update!

I can't believe I haven't posted for such a long time! Hope everyone had a great Christmas, I certainly had a good time with my family and boyfriend. We went to a Chinese buffet restaurant and we really enjoyed ourselves for the festive period. My boyfriend stayed over and it was just a lovely, cosy, time together.

As for a health update, I have recently been diagnosed with a platelet disorder of an unknown aetiology. At the moment, we don't know what the exact disorder is, but my platelets don't aggregate in the way they should; in fact, they don't seem to aggregate much at all. My Hb levels are extremely low, hovering around the 7g/dl mark and as such I am due to have some transfusions this week or next.

Surgery is also taking place for me on Wednesday, 6th February, and I'll be inpatient for at least four days. We planned this before learning of the coagulation problems and my extremely low Hb levels, so I'm presuming I'll be in there for at least a week. Not sure though, but I hope to be blogging during my stay, if and when I can. I am not sure about what will happen with regard to the clotting problem and the low Hb during my stay, as these are likely to impede my recovery as they have done in the past. I am, however, just glad that a cause has been identified for my excessive bleeding and that there is prospective for a cure or at least a treatment for whatever problem exists.

For this upcoming operation, my surgeon will be installing a negative-pressure wound therapy pump to the surgical sites to draw out fluid and blood that could accumulate under the dressings. This is one thing I'm pretty nervous about since I'm presuming it hurts quite a lot, but I'm optimistic because we have not yet tried this. I've heard lots of good things about it, and my surgeon finds the idea promising, so I can't help but feel the same way!

Medical school has been going pretty smoothly so far; apart from the fact that I may be missing an assessed module that begins on the Monday after the operation. I also have an exam that takes place on Friday, 8th February, but am pretty sure that I will be able to get a no-detriment mark for this, as I have been advised to do for the previous exam.

I have had the most amazing Christmas period ever, and just wanted to thank everyone who cares for me, thinks about me and looks after me. I have had a really happy year, and hope that this year will be happier for me, and for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.