Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

Three years on...

6th April 2010...

Both the best and worst day of my life so far, without a doubt. At around 11am, pretty much as I type this, I had an anaphylactic reaction whilst unconscious, to intravenous Augmentin; a drug containing penicillin. Strange as it may sound, I'd taken penicillin for weeks pre-op and had no problems until the test dose of the intravenous preparation.

Looking through my medical notes, those few minutes were grim... And I'm so glad I wasn't conscious through it, because the scars left behind are more than enough for me to deal with. The night I spent in the Critical Care Unit was horrible; I'd never, and still haven't ever felt so ill in my life. There were moments where I thought I would die, and moments when it felt surreal to be alive after what had happened.

I don't know what drugs they were, but something they gave me made my whole body shake. It was so very strange not to be able to keep myself still, but the adrenaline they'd given me was making my heart rate sky high. Something wasn't quite right with my breathing and my blood pressure was really low.

That night felt like the longest night of my life. I was admitted to the Unit at around 3pm, and was there till around midday the next day. I know it's not that long, but when you're only sixteen and were supposed to just be a day patient, things like this shock you and floods of emotion are released.

Without the fast actions of my consultant, I'm not sure what would have happened; I don't know quite how bad the situation was because I wasn't awake. But I'm just glad that the experience wasn't any worse than it was, because that was quite enough for me!

Nonetheless, I can't believe I've come this far. From 2009, I've suffered from the AVM and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, been diagnosed with a platelet disorder and get persistent stomach troubles. But, I've got 11 GCSEs, 3 A Levels and am now finishing my first year of Medical School. So many people and events have made me into a different person to who I would be otherwise, and every single person who's loved me, wished me well and believed in me deserves to share the happiness and the accomplishment I'm feeling today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.