Pages

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Long Road

We decided that I would revisit my rheumatologist now that I am "stable" from the point of view of my osteomyelitis. A week ago today, I had the appointment, which turned out to be a relatively successful experience as well as a confidence-booster.

I was pleased to see the consultant, nearly three years after I'd first seen him. We talked about medical school and other things in my life, and then moved on to how things had been with my osteomyelitis and AVM. He was shocked to hear of the way I had been treated, and how people had overlooked important factors when deciding on my treatment. In a way, it was liberating and I was so relieved to hear that I wasn't crazy and that my concerns about peoples' attitudes and actions were shared by someone so well-respected and renowned in the medical world.

We ran through things briefly, and then talked about the problems he thought I had with my autonomic nervous system. I've been experiencing symptoms with my digestive system for so long now that it felt strange for someone to want to help. Of course, it was welcomed help, but it still felt bizarre for someone to take me seriously. Provisionally, we think that I have some sort of motility disorder with my digestive tract due to an erroneous autonomic nervous system. Additionally, he found that I become tachycardic when I stand up. I'd always known that I become dizzy and light-headed when I go from lying or sitting to standing, but this has been apparent since I was very young and so I never thought there was anything wrong. 

As a result of the appointment, I have been referred to a neurogastroenterologist and a neurologist, as my rheumatologist is sure that they will be able to help me improve my quality of life. Though privately, the neurogastroenterologist has no appointments until September, as he is away until then. I am yet to hear from the neurologist's office, but am hopeful that I will be able to get an appointment before term starts again. 

I'm definitely satisfied with the outcome of this appointment. Although it's never nice to be told that there's something wrong, I've always known that things haven't been right and have come to accept that. What's great is that I shouldn't have to accept too much more pain and discomfort, because there's actually people out there who want to, and will help me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.