Pages

Thursday 20 June 2013

Overcomplicated

Have you ever felt that everything is overcomplicated? Or that people are out to complicate things for you?

I've never had to wait so long for a post-op appointment. I had my surgery on Friday, 7th June - and I still haven't got an appointment date. My surgeon spoke to me the day after my operation, Saturday, saying that he would see me "next week" - the week beginning that Monday - but we never arranged a day or time. The secretary, talking with whom feels like having my hairs plucked one by one, phoned me to say that she could only offer me an appointment in two weeks' time; tomorrow. I didn't kick up a fuss, since one week shouldn't make a huge difference.

Concerned about drug side-effects, pain and just not feeling myself, I phoned her to see if I could move the appointment forward. I spoke to her this Monday, and asked if I could get an appointment either on Tuesday or Wednesday. I booked an appointment for Wednesday, and hung up. I emailed her for confirmation, just in case, as her voice is hard to hear and understand. She emailed me back saying that the appointment had been moved further, to next Wednesday, instead of being brought forward, as I'd asked. My original slot had been taken.

Next week, I go on placement (meaning I can't attend clinic), which I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately, I won't be able to scrub into theatres and do things I wanted to do, because I won't have seen my surgeon and I don't want to reduce the dressing in case anything happens.

I wrote back, asking if there were any slots for the Wednesday just gone instead, and was told that the clinic was full, though she could overbook. I thought this was feasible, and agreed, as long as the surgeon was fine with it (which he has been, in the past). I never got a reply after after this, and contacted her again yesterday to check if I was on the list, and still heard nothing. All the other times I'd contacted her, she'd replied within the hour, if not sooner.

Finally, I received a reply this morning, saying that I was on the list for next Wednesday. What part of being on placement and unable to attend does she not get? She didn't answer my email before the clinic, and even when she did, she didn't answer my question. Surely it's just common courtesy to reply, even if she's been unable to overbook? I feel totally let down by the system - not only is it poor service, especially considering this is the private sector, but it's rude, and she doesn't seem interested in helping people at all.

What I experienced after this was something I shan't forget for a while still. I wrote back, telling her for a second time that I would be on placement and that next Wednesday wouldn't work for me. Her reply to me asked if I wanted to change the appointment. I couldn't believe I was seeing this; I had just told her I couldn't make it, and she just wrote back asking if I wanted to change. Wasn't it clear enough that I wanted to change the appointment? I can't think of many people that would say no!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.