Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

Finger AVM bleed

I just had a huge bleed from my AVM! This is just a picture of the biggest clot that wouldn't even go down the plug hole in the bath. It was bleeding into some normal saline for about an hour and I could see the pulse - I videoed it only for a bit but don't know how to upload videos here. The space between the plug and the hole is about an inch, so that's how tall the clot it, it's much wider (maybe about three inches wide?). Comparatively, it's quite a big one but only because my blood doesn't usually clot this fast and it's just a big mess! My record still stands at around two litres of blood lost in two weeks back in March 2010.

But overall today I have had a good day and managed to recollect my feelings on this morning's post. I need to be more proactive in my treatment and be a part of the team rather than the subject of science. On my next appointment with my orthopaedic surgeon, I will ask to be referred to a rheumatologist and ask him what he thinks of the synthetic skin and thrombin (though I have tried this once before already). 

Tomorrow I am going to be receiving my parcel in the post at last. I've bought dressings, scissors and plastic syringes (sans needles) so I can use the topical anaesthetic more efficiently without wasting most of it. A 4ml vial costs me around £8 depending on which pharmacy I go to, and even more if I buy from the hospital chemist. I once paid over £40 for 20 Bayer Ciproxin tablets because my surgeon wrote down "Ciproxin" (the branded name) rather than "Ciprofloxacin" (the generic name). But I suppose if you go private, these are the things you put yourself up against! 

Anyway, I am feeling a bit tired from the AVM bleed and very slightly faint/dizzy. I lost around 250ml of blood today and although it's not a lot, I haven't drunk much either and so am just a tad off course! Hope you are all having a wonderful day and have had an enjoyable weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.