Pages

Saturday 4 August 2012

Living with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Arteriovenous Malformation

Two years ago today, I was supposed to have surgery. I was supposed to have a free skin flap and a few skin grafts to totally reconstruct my finger, but unfortunately, the surgery was cancelled at last minute. There were to be two surgeons working together, the vascular and upper limb orthopaedic surgeon I still see to date. The orthopaedic surgeon had, for some reason, disappeared off somewhere and nobody knew where he was or why he'd gone away. So, surgery was postponed to 3rd September, 2010...

Aptly, I wanted to write about the difficulties of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and having an AVM. Each affects the other, and I can't say it's in a positive way most of the time. When I lose blood from the AVM, it makes me feel weaker than I usually am, and when my EDS plays up, my joints swell and those in my hand swell even more due to the big fluid buildup I already have. The two together have so much potential to knock me out altogether if they decide to deteriorate quickly, albeit for a short time.

In the last three years of my life, though, I've learnt so much. So much good and bad stuff that I can't really say whether the experience has been "worth it" even though I didn't and still don't have a say in what happens. I've definitely met some of my best friends through my experience, people who are so creditable and respectable who I wouldn't have met otherwise. Some of these people will be my best friends for life and are people I can share absolutely everything with. People I don't know have helped me and been so kind to me indiscriminately. It's not all been pretty though; I've lost friends and I realised things about some people that I wouldn't have otherwise but I suppose that's for the better anyway.

I'm scared, though. Scared that my AVM won't be sorted before university (which is really real...) or worse still, it won't be sorted at all, although I doubt that this will happen. I've got so much faith in my orthopaedic surgeon at the moment that he's going to be the one to sort it all out for me and I just want him to give me the chance to believe in him and the chance to let himself make me better. He doesn't think I have any more AVM but I feel otherwise. But I'm going to take his advice and go through what he thinks is best, and if not, we can rethink. I'm just running out of time, patience and energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.