Pages

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Post-op day #5

I can't believe it's already been five days since surgery! I attended my BMI hospital today to see my surgeon, with much apprehension about their awful nurses, knowing that I would need my dressings done because I am just post-op. I was given the *worst* nurse; I'm surprised I didn't scream when I saw her. As my surgeon says, she's "old school" and wants to get jobs done ASAP, regardless of anything. I bit my tongue and decided to let her have a go even though I knew it wasn't a good time, being post-op.

She took a foot-long pair of plaster scissors and tried to cut my dressing, hacking through the bandages roughly. I told her to stop, but she just told me to let her get on. She then started to remove the dressings themselves with tweezers. I tried to get my other hand in and remove them myself, but as I moved away from the dressings table, her tweezers followed suit and she was adamant that she wanted to remove them.

Just as we were waiting for my surgeon to come, another nurse came to get something from the room. Later, evil nurse left and I was left with the nurse who had come in to get something, as if by telepathy (or magic!)! I was in so much pain and was bleeding my this point and trying so hard to hold things together. My surgeon came in, and awkward conversation ensued (with me half-in-tears...). After 30 minutes of discussion, we decided to try new dressings and my surgeon left, telling me to go and see him again post-dressings.

Later, my surgeon asked if I was alright and commented that I looked really upset earlier on. Embarrassingly, I burst into tears and explained the situation - he agreed that it wasn't right and we ended up laughing about it.

He isn't too happy about the state of things, I am already growing back dodgy tissue and we might have to repeat/revise the surgery. He has also referred me to a plastic surgeon and I should get a call about that tomorrow - he wants to see if I am a candidate for synthetic skin or cell culture which is a very exciting prospect for now. I should get an appointment next week depending on when and where he runs his clinics and I am seeing my orthopaedic surgeon again on the 7th September.

For now, I have been prescribed some marcaine/bupivacaine HCl (I think they're the same thing) for pain relief as the codeine has been making me vomit badly. He wants me to start building up my appetite again as I have lost some weight over the last week or so, which was part of the reason why I was kept longer in hospital than I should have been. I ended up leaving the hospital at 9pm but I'm pleased to have seen my surgeon today. Hopefully it's good news from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.